Tuesday, August 11, 2009

Mountains galore!


From Tonasket we rode to hwy 20 and continued west. We encountered signs that, in the Methow valley, 116 deer have been struck this year, and that 370 or so are struck every year.

In the town of Twisp a black convertible Mercedes roadster passed us rather quickly. I couldn't quite make out which model it was other than AMG and sounded pretty healthy. We caught up with it later as it was stuck behind a couple slower cars. It passed them on a long section and I followed. But it didn't slow down. I stayed with it and we were doing about 120 mph before slowing for the next corner. I was expecting, like all cars, that it would slow us down in the corners, but this guy gave me a good run for my money. I would guess I had to ride at about 8/10 pace to keep up. I dunno how hard he was pushing it. Either way, considering that I had a loaded bike, was far from home, wasn't familiar with the road, and didn't know if he was pushing his limits to prove his manliness to his female passenger, I backed off.

Shortly thereafter Chuck and I pulled into a campground for lunch (bean and rice burrito MRE). We also changed one of his headlight bulbs. The strange thing was that the high beam on his new bulb didn't work either. He must have a fuse or failure elsewhere.

Lunch got into our bellies and we continued north through the Northern Cascades National Park Complex. These are some very nice mountains!

The lakes here are Ross and Diablo lakes, created with dams. The water is a bright green!(too bad the camera doesn't capture it very well).

Since it was getting late we found a campsite and stayed there. In the evening we attended an amphitheatre lecture on local native american stories, drank some beer (Drifter) then slept.

No comments:

Post a Comment