Monday, August 10, 2009

Hot and dry


Sunday started with my butt on the ground. The ground is hard and cold, so I lug around an inflatable mattress. It just wasn't inflated this morning. Oh well.. These are cheap and diaposable. Time to find another.

This morning we tried to make pancakes. Well we did, but it took an hour. My camp stove is more like a blowtorch and neither of us want to lug around an iron fry pan, so we used a stainless steel bowl.

The first pancake was burnt on the bottom, liquid on top. Second pancake we turned down the heat and kept moving the flame to avoid burning it. This took too long so I turned up the heat and burned it. Third try it was just right.. But took 15 minutes. Two more pancakes and we decided oatmeal from here on out. Or we could have walked 100 feet up the hill to the breakfast restaurant.

Some clouds started to roll in so we packed up and rode on down highway 20. This was good choice - great pavement, little traffic, nice curves. In Colville we stopped a Walmart to get another mattress.

20 took us west to 21 north, which we rode north to Curlew. There we took the little grey lines to Chesaw. These lines led us through the dry Okanagon region then into a narrow canyon through which flowed the Beaver or Toroda creeks. Pavement wasn't very good, but it was very scenic.

We ended up going west to Oroville then south to Tonasket on 97, which is a god-awefull straight and boring and busy road. Looking at the map afterwards, it appears that we should have taken the grey line from Chesaw to Tonasket via Havillah.

While on 97 I noticed Chucks headlights didn't work. We pulled over and ascertained it was only his brights. We stopped at the next auoparts store and got some bulbs. Honda wants $40 or so each one, and they are Honda specific, but after years of owning Hondas, i knew that the H4 with the tabs broken off would sort of work. So we bought them and rode on, thinking we'd change later in the mountains where it was 86f.

But first we had a friendly chat with a local constable regarding my ability to obey the speed limits. As soon as I saw him I looked down and knew he got me. We were in a 60 zone and my speedo showed 76 GPS showed 72. I tend to ride at about 7-8 over the limit (according to the GPS) but this time I just wasn't paying attention. No matter, I deserve a ticket, as much as i speed. I am just glad we didn't get caught enjoying a 35mph corner at 80mph....

In the end, we only got warnings. He said he clocked me at 71 and Chuck at 67. Whew!

No comments:

Post a Comment