Thursday, August 20, 2009

Big Trees


Monday we took a day off from riding. Ron needed to put new tires on his bike, and Chuck and I went for a 7 mile hike in the Redwoods (specifically, the Humboldt State Park).

The road (Matole Road) to the park sucked. It sucked more because I had unloaded the bike but didn't change the preload. At least it was only a couple miles.

After the hike we rode back to the campsite and met Ron with his bright new fresh and shiny BT020's on the bike. Quite an improvement over the Z6's, worn over 75% of the breadth of the tire with cords showing. He said the last 20 miles to the camp were scary - he had no braking traction on the rear tire.

When I went to open the sidecase, I found the lock core gone. Doh! Yamaha has a bad habit of not putting threadlocker on the screws on the backside of the locks, and they have been known to fall out, like mine did. Luckily it was resting in the sidecase handle, but with only one screw. So Ron and I jumped on the bikes and rode to True Value to find two new allen screws and threadlocker. I thought "I should get additional screws" ... nah. Back at the campsite, I put in the new screws and lock core and all is OK. Then I went to check the other locks .. and the other sidecase's two screws and almost completely backed out. Problem is, they are security torx screws and I don't want to spend another $20 on a bit for them, when I already have one at home .. so I used some pliers to unscrew, add threadlocker, and retighten them as much as I could.

While on the screw-run we stopped at Safeway and got some salmon filets, veggies, bread, charcoal and beer. Ron proceeded to make glowing hot coals, seasoned, oiled and wrapped the fish and veggies in aluminum and served up an excellent meal. Yummay!

Tomorrow we continue riding.

No comments:

Post a Comment