Sunday, August 23, 2009

Arizona


I woke up at 1am, sweaty and on the ground.

There is a tropical thing going on in the Pacific ocean pulling moisture up from the gulf. That was one reason I was miserable. The other reason is because the air mattress I had purchased in Washington had sprung a leak. I couldn't do anything about the moisture, but since the mattress went flat in six hours, i figured if i fill it i should be good until the morning. I got out of the tent wearing just my underwear (when in Rome...) moved the bike to the tent, plugged in the air pump and filled the mattress - and woke up Chuck.

5am and I was on the ground again! Argh! 6am I was making oatmeal.

By eight we were on the road, taking 93 to a Walmart in Kingman, AZ.

But first we crossed the Hoover Dam. Jennifer have previously visited and gone a tour of the generators, so we skipped that this time. 93 is not a challenging road, but it is scenic, with great views of mesas and mountains.


Walmart took the mattress in exchange. Good for another ten days of camping!

From Kingman we followed US 66 to Seligman, I40 to Williams, and 64 to the Grand Canyon. We'll be here two days to hike and recharge and do laundry.

No comments:

Post a Comment