Tuesday, August 4, 2009

Just in time


As we were approaching Cody yesterday afternoon the skies grew dark and two thunderstorms formed - one straight ahead one to the south. We could see the walls of rain and occasional lightning strikes.

Allow me to backtrack to Sheridan. While refueling, Chuck suspected a bug fell into his gas tank. While he has a fuel filter, I figured it wouldn't hurt to pour a bit of fuel injection cleaner in each of our tanks... Maybe help with dismembering the bug too.

Why is this relevant? My check engine light was on. When I stopped the engine i received an error code 32 or 35 (i don't remember). The bike was running fine except for some altitude-induced midrange hesitation (which is more prevalent when on the powercommander zero map), it wasn't overheating and there weren't any other warning lights on. I am guessing it might be related to the fuel system cleaner... I'll stop in Cody at a cafe and see what I can find online with Chuck's laptop.

At the moment the nearby storms take precedence.

I had my aerostich on so i wasn't concerned about the rain; Chuck on the other hand was in jeans and a mesh jacket. As we crested a butte he signaled to stop, so we did, and he pit on rain pants and waterproof jacket liner.

Thirty seconds later a couple big fat drops fell. Then a whole lot more of them fell. It rained so hard it was bouncing off the road and creating a mist. The temperature dropped from 90 to 60 degrees in a couple minutes.

There other bikes on the road, and for the next ten minutes of the downpour we encountered them on the sides of the road in various states of getting on their rain gear. Apparently leather vests, do-rags and jeans aren't that great in the rain....

Once in Cody the rain had let up, my check engne light had gone off, and we were ready for a cup of coffee. We pulled into the Rawhide Coffee house, got some coffee and got on the neenernet.

No comments:

Post a Comment