Monday, August 22, 2011

Over the Mountains

It was cool in the morning. I tried to run but after struggling for two miles I gave. I am guessing I am not used to such exercise at 7am. But it was better than nothing.

The Sonora Pass, hwy 108, was a beauty. The pavement was near perfect as it climbed from 3000 feet up to 9600 and overlooked a dam and reservoir (I think it was the Hetch Hetchy) and temperatures stayed cool. However, as we dropped into the eastern desert the temperatures climbed into the 90's.

Going south on 395 throught Lee Vining (and lunch) offers fabulous views of the eastern side of he Sierra mountains. In Big Pine we took the scenic, twisty, high-elevation roller-coaster Hwt 168 to the straight and fast 266. Interestingly, the desert brown was interrupted by a green corridor along the road. I wonder if the little rain that falls on the road is concentrated into the ditches?

We dropped back down to the desert floor and temps went up. The road wa straight. We rode straight for hundreds of miles, got gas in Beatty, rode the last 115 miles to vegas in the dark in 97 F.

Once in Vegas we stayed with a friend of my brothers. Here we are taking a rest day before slabbing it the remaining 1700 miles home the rest of the week.
Published with Blogger-droid v1.7.4

No comments:

Post a Comment