Sunday, November 6, 2011

Green worm soup and pig-sh*t


Every day we went out to lunch, and the first question was "do you like spicy?" and yes, I do, so that's what we did. Every day we ate something spicy. Turns out they don't like spicy, and when I went for the hot-sauce or chili peppers or curries they were surprised. So each day they wanted to find something spicier! 
On the third day we went to a place with traditional Malaysian dishes and it was very good ... Beef masala was the best, and some chicken and tofu dishes which I have no idea was in there but it was good (and spicy). Then for dessert they said "you want green worm?" I explained I'll try anything ... as long as it doesn't move, and at any point I can refuse, and may not eat more than a bite. I figure, might feel gross, taste bad, or smell disgusting, and as long as I don't have to take a second bite and it won't make me sick, then it's ok.

So. Green worm soup.

That's in a coconut milk bath with red beans and I stirred in some coconut syrup (gotta find some of that for pancakes!). It was served cold. The worms did not move. So i took a spoonfull and swallowed ... mmm mmm delicious! They said "let them warm up in your mouth, they will start moving!" uh. ok.

So I did.

They didn't move. 

I looked at them closely - I could not discern any legs, segments or hard parts. No eyes, antenna, or feelers. Heeyyyyy.... these aren't real worms! Turns out they are a jelly of sorts, and this is a joke they play on visitors!

They asked whether I had tried durion. Hm .. no... I've heard of it. So we stopped at a grocery store but could not find any. The closest we found was durion cake, and that wasn't bad at all.








But another day, we DID find it!

They don't allow people to eat it in public or enclosed places. Banned on planes and trains. So ... naturally ... I wanted to try it!

Here are various  descriptions:

"like eating sweet raspberry blancmange in the lavatory."


" a food of the most exquisite flavour it is unsurpassed."


"... its odor is best described as pig-shit, turpentine and onions, garnished with a gym sock."


"it is of such an excellent taste that it surpasses in flavour all other fruits of the world, according to those who have tasted it"


The local team found an outdoor vendor selling it. The husk has thick spiny thorns, and inside are compartments with soft yellow pods. Inside the pods is the flesh, which is gooey like custard, with seeds shaped like hemoglobin, about in inch in diameter.

The odor is very strong, smells like warm brie with a hint of musk. I wouldn't call it unpleasant, and it certainly doesn't smell like shit. But it is very strong.


They gave me a glove to wear so I wouldn't have the smell on my hand for a long time ;-) And then I tried a bite ... hmm .... tastes like it smells! It is ... um ... not my thing.

I wouldn't say it is repulsive. I don't think it lives up to it's reputation. On the other hand, I didn't eat much and I don't want any more. I will say it was better than some fruits I've eaten, like peaches or apricots. But I don't like it.

Apparently I was only the second visiting IBMr that has tried durion.




No comments:

Post a Comment