Friday, April 15, 2011

So THIS is what summer is like!



Today's blog is of another day in Mexico City in March, when I had a day off to wander around like a tourist ...


After a short morning with the client in Toluca, I was free ... Free! Free at last!




So  I had my driver take me to the Mexico City Anthropology museum, with instructions to pick me up in four hours. Being a beautiful 70F sunny and dry Saturday of a three-day weekend, everyone and their cousin was out. That included the bloody vendors ... at least these were tent-vendors, not suitcase-carrying vendors who follow you around. 




So Anyway ... on the way to the castle I passed what appeared to be a manmade lake, as all the edges were concrete, there was a big fountain in the middle, the water was anti-freeze green and it was chock full of paddle boats. 




There were people everywhere - it must be a popular place to hang out on Saturday's. 




The Castle itself was neat. They only retained some of the original furniture and stuff, and turned the rest of it into an art museum of sorts, and various exhibits. Nothing was in english, so I was one of those people who zoomed through real fast. The best part was the view - worth the $4 admission and hike.




In particular, there was a mural painted on the ceiling on that held my attention. There is so much detail going on in this mural, depicting the Battle of Chapultapec:
According to legend, the last of the six, Juan Escutia, grabbed the Mexican flag, wrapped it around himself and jumped off the castle point to prevent the flag from falling into enemy hands.


After that I walked down to the museum and got a chance to see about half of it before I ran out of time. Definitely need three or four hours to do this justice. There is some stuff in english, but it is the sheer amount of stuff they have on display that takes time to absorb. I'll just put up a bunch of photos .. .and yes, the big rock heads are 8-12 feet tall!




After dropping my camera off at the hotel I had the driver (Santiago) take up the street to La Calle, a mexican restaurant. There I had an amaranth and tamarind-breaded fish filet. It was good, and I guess I am writing home about it .. but it wasn't spectacular or anything. 


After dinner I had a brisk 15-minute walk back to the hotel as the sun was setting. The temperature was just right ... I can't wait for summer!



No comments:

Post a Comment