Saturday, February 12, 2011

Waffles

Have you got a Belgian Waffle Maker? I do.

Do you think it makes  Belgian Waffles? I used to.

Have you ever HAD a waffle in Belgium? I did this morning.

My initial thought when I had the waffle was OH MY GOD THIS IS GOOD!

then "Belgian waffle makers do not make belgian waffles.".

A little more research uncovered that it was, in fact, a Liege Waffle I was savoring. Freshly made in a fold of waxed paper, no syrup, fruits or whip cream, it had a heavy, crunchy-on-the-outside, soft-on-the-inside, caramelized sugar goodness.

Other good eats experienced today were mussels in cream steamed with Bruges Zot Blonde (yep, we went to Bruges). Very very good, with quite a pronounced malt flavor from the Blonde. I paired it with a Bruges Zot Dubbel Bruin, a rich chocolate brown ale with a hint of sourness.

As for Bruges ... more on that in a later post!

No comments:

Post a Comment