Tuesday, July 14, 2009

Wild and Wonderful [and remote] West Virgina!

There is no doubt that West Virginia has a bazillion awesome roads! In May we rode through many of them with the ST1100 group on our way to FriendSTOC (http://friendstoc.org/) and today I am going to re-ride some of those roads.

Since my dad had difficulty walking, I spent the morning helping them prepare the RV for travel. Once again it was a late start - 1130am. They were going to ride along the interstates all the way to Palmyra, VA while I took the "short cut" directly west over the WV mountains.

After a short stint on 64E to Charleston I left civilization behind and chased the sound of banjos. Quick Road and Dutch Hollow provided me with an hour of dodging potholes, mud slides, ATV's, etc. I can't recommend this route. Eventually I ended up Hwy 16 and had lunch in Clay. Two pancakes and a side of bacon plus a VERY generous tip cost less than $5. But it was like stepping back in time 50 years - it was an old diner, everyone paid cash, there was no cell service.

From that point on, a nearly abandoned but very twisty Dundon Widen Road led me to Birch River Road then Hwy 20. I picked up the FriendSTOC route in Cowen, continued on Hwy 15, 219, 250 to Staunton to Palmyra.

And next week I get to do it all over again!

(but with more worn tires).

Oh yeah ... Beerun in Charlottesville ... GREAT selection!

No comments:

Post a Comment